The City of Nebraska City and Otoe County will share the cost of upgrading the county’s dispatch center equipment.
City Council members approved an interlocal agreement at their meeting Monday night that the city and the county will divide about $1.18 million in shared costs.
This will mean about $342,000 of the cost, or 29 percent, will be paid by the city of Nebraska City, while Otoe County will pay the remaining 71 percent of the shared costs.
Otoe County will purchase new radios for the sheriff’s department at a cost of $346,000, and the City of Nebraska City will pay $96,000 for new radios for the Nebraska City Police Department.
These costs are in addition to the $1.18 million in shared costs and will be paid by the county and the city respectively.
Otoe County will finance 100 percent of the cost of the upgrades, and the City of Nebraska City will repay the county about $490,000 over 10 years, according to Nebraska City City Administrator Grayson Path.
Nebraska City Police Chief David Lacy extended thanks to the council for approving the agreement.
“Now we can talk to each other,” said Lacy, who explained that without the agreement and the radio upgrade, Nebraska City would be “an island, unable to talk to other departments” and the Nebraska State Patrol.
In other matters, the council
Approved the final acceptance of the Kearney Hill Project;
approved the use of Memorial Way for a DJ during the AppleJack Car Show on Sept. 17;
Discussed the purchase of a vehicle that would be shared between the Construction and Facility Manager and the City Administrator; and
Passed resolutions setting Aug. 7 as the meeting date during which the council will hold a hearing regarding any written objections to the Street Improvement Districts that were created at the last council meeting.
The council will meet July 18, 19 and 20 to discuss next year’s budget. Those meetings will take place from 8 a.m. to noon all three days.