Firefighters responded to a garage fire 421 4th Terrace after an explosion was heard by neighbors.

Nebraska City firefighters responded to a fire at 421 4th Terrace after reports were made about an explosion in a garage.

"We heard this loud boom and two little pops afterwards," said a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous. "I thought a grain silo was coming down."

The explosion occurred when a fire, started by the owner of the residence, got out of control and reached a propane tank inside the garage of the residence.

The fire damaged the garage but was extinguished before it could spread to other structures.

"Just someone burning something when they shouldn't be," said Fire Chief Alan Viox. "It was an easy extinguish, but the guy's going to have some damage he'll have to deal with now."

Nebraska is currently under a state wide burn ban.