Lorraine E. Moss, 86, Syracuse died Aug. 8, 2013. Lorraine Edna (Zahn) Moss was born on Nov. 19, 1926 on a farm four miles south of Syra-cuse to Paul F. and Lena K. (Miesbach) Zahn. She attended country school and graduated from Syracuse High School.
Upon graduation at age 16, she taught country school for two years, many times riding her horse to and from school. She completed a B.S. in Mathematics at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and taught junior high-level math in Fremont.
While working at an insurance company in Denver in the summer of 1950, she applied for and accepted a job at the Los Alamos, N.M., Nuclear Laboratories. She worked in the theoretical physics department where she met Clifford Moss of Wichita Falls, Texas, also a mathematician.
They married in 1952 and moved back to Lincoln in 1955, where Clifford earned his DDS degree at the UNL College of Dentistry. In 1960, they built a home in Syracuse, where Clifford established his dental practice. Together they raised five sons.
Lorraine was a homemaker and enjoyed traveling, especially to the American Southwest. She loved the mountains and the time she spent there both in her youth and with family in later years. Though she loved to travel, Lorraine truly appreciated living in Syracuse.
The most important thing in her life was her family: parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and especially her five boys. She also had a special place in her heart for her brother Norman, his wife Betty and their four children: Stephen, Mark, Paula and Leslie.
Lorraine was preceded by her husband and brother.
Survivors are Scott (Peggy) Moss of Bluffton, Ind., and their sons Zachary (Melody) and Mitchell (Dana); Grant Moss of South Hadley, Mass., and his sons Geoffrey (Stacey) and Robert (Cathy); John Moss of Lincoln; Paul Moss of Lincoln; and Eric Moss of Chapel Hill, N.C.
Lorraine donated her body to the State of Nebraska Anatomical Board for the advancement of medical education and research. There will be no viewing or visitation.
Memorial services will be held at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 12 at St. John’s United Church of Christ, 7th and Plum streets in Syracuse, followed by a luncheon in the adjoining Fellowship Hall. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Syracuse Meals on Wheels or St. John’s United Church of Christ, Syracuse.