The Arbor Day Committee began distributing over 750 Arbor Day posters for downtown display following the announcement of winners on Wednesday.
The poster contest is sponsored annually by Nebraska City Tourism and Commerce.
It is judged by staff and volunteers at the Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts.
Winners in each grade were:
- Kingergarten, Emma Houghton of Miss James’ class at Northside.
- First, Jenna Box of Mrs. Gawart’s class at Lourdes.
- Second, Hayden Cline of Miss Tharp’s class at Northside.
- Third, Valerie Bennie of Mr. Hamilton’s class at Hayward.
- Fourth, Hannah Cardon of Miss Goodell’s class at Hayward.
- Fifth, Gabbi Wichman of Mrs. Box's class at Lourdes.
Jenni Brant, executive director at the art center, said the posters were exceptionally well done this year.
She noted the use of color over the entire poster, unusual perspectives and eye-catching elements.
She said it appears that students and teachers had fun with this year's theme of “Dig it. Plant it. Grow it.”