Otoe County officials are looking for suspects after linking a fire in Syracuse to an active methamphetamine lab.

Chief Deputy Mike Holland said remnants of a meth lab were discovered after firefighters responded to a fire in the garage of a duplex.

A silver car with Nemaha County plates was reported leaving the area.

The Otoe County Sheriff's Office says a methamphetamine lab was found in Syracuse after authorities responded to the report of a fire in a garage at a duplex.

Chief Deputy Mike Holland said firefighters reported the smell of ammonia while extinguishing the fire at the 200 block of Ninth Street.

"Upon further investigation remnants of a clandestine meth lab were found," Holland said.

Holland said he suspects that suspects in the garage caused a spark while stripping lithium batteries and said the spark ignited some flammable source.
No one was taken into custody, but deputies received a report of a silver car with Nemaha County plates leaving the scene.

A 19-year-old male was taken to the hospital, but Holland said his condition may have been independent of the fire.

Holland said he suspects a meth lab was in progress when the fire started.