During the month of January 2013, twenty-four persons were killed in traffic crashes on Nebraska roadways, according to data collected by the Nebraska Department of Roads.
These 24 fatalities occurred in 20 crashes
- Twenty-one of the 23 vehicle occupants killed were not using safety belts
- One fatality occurred on the Interstate, sixteen happened on non-Interstate highways, and
- seven took place on local roads
- Twenty-one of the fatalities occurred in rural locations
- Nine of the fatal crashes were head-on collisions
- Seven of the fatal crashes were single vehicle run-off-road accidents
- One of the fatal crashes was a collision with a train
- One of the fatalities was a pedestrian
COMPARISON WITH PREVIOUS YEARS
YEAR FATALITIES FATAL CRASHES % CHANGE v. 2013 (FATALITIES)
2012 22 21 +9.1
2011 7 7 +242.9
2010 8 7 +200
2009 14 11 +71
- There were 22 fatalities in January of 2012.
- 21 of the 23 vehicle occupants killed during 2013 (91.3%) were not wearing safety belts.