While people in Nebraska and SW Iowa are finalizing plans for holiday events and travel, the American Red Cross has tips to help prevent accidents and emergencies.
Following a few simple tips can help make the holiday season safe and enjoyable,” said Tina Labellarte, Region CEO.
Holiday Decorations and Parties
· Place Christmas trees at least three feet away from any heat sources and exits. Water the tree daily.
· Don’t overload electrical outlets and unplug holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.
· Keep candles away from combustible materials and in a place where children and pets can’t get to them.
· Pick a designated driver when attending a party and provide non-alcoholic beverage options if hosting a party.
· Keep children and pets away from the stove; turn pot handles in; and turn off burners if leaving the kitchen.
· Make sure vehicles are in good working order before holiday trips. This includes checking tire air pressure and windshield fluid, and cleaning lights and windows.
· Equip vehicles with an emergency preparedness kit with water, snacks, flashlight, first aid kit and blankets.
· Check weather and road conditions before traveling.
· Share travel plans including intended route and estimated arrival time with someone.